Submissions for feature films are now open.
To be eligible at La Semaine de la Critique, the film must comply with the following requirements:
- Must be the director’s first or second feature film.
- By "first feature film", we mean it must be the first cinematic film (fiction, documentary or animation) with a duration over 59' from a director who has never directed a full-length film before (over 59'), theatrically released, released on a platform or selected in an international festival.
- By "second feature film", we mean it must be a cinematic film (fiction, documentary or animation) with a duration over 59' from a director who has previously only directed one full-length film (over 59'), theatrically released, released on a platform or selected in an international festival.
- Must have been completed within the 12 months prior to the date of the Festival (between May 2023 and May 2024).
- Must not have participated in any festival outside its country of origin (whether it is in competition or out of competition).
- For French features : Must not have participated in any festival (whether it is in competition or out of competition), including in France
- Must not have been shown on the Internet or broadcasted on TV, or commercially released.
Complete online submissions and films must be sent between November 27th, 2023 and March 8th, 2024.
All films should be made available to the selection committee in one of the following formats:
Upload, link (ex: Vimeo), DCP.
It is possible to fill in the submission form, and upload the film later on. Once the video is validated once and for all by its user, it is not possible to upload a new version anymore. Validating your video finalizes your submission and enables your film to be considered for preselections.
Most source files are accepted. If your file is already on your computer, the upload will be very easy.
- Requested files: We only accept multiplexed files (audio, video and subtitles in one film file). We also recommend to upload only progressive or de-interlaced footage.
- Subtitles: For subtitled films, the subtitles have to be integrated (burned in) into the image.
- Preparation of your film file: Make sure that your film has no color bar or any black sequence before and after your film (apart from a a model for opening and closing credits).
- Upload: There is a maximum file size of 8 GB for each film. If your upload cannot be completed 100%, try to upload a version of your film with smaller file size and/or go online using an ethernet cable. Duration of your upload depends on your film file size and your internet connection, it can take several hours. For instance: with a 2,5 GB film file and an internet connection with an upload speed of 1 Mbit/s, upload can take approximately 6 hours. For 1 Mbit/s upload speed, a high speed internet connection of approximately 16 Mbit/s is needed. Test your upload speed here.
- Accepted formats: .mp[e]g / .vob / .avi / .mov / .mp4 (m4v)
- Recommended codecs: MJPEG, Apple ProRes, H264 (bitrate if possible) > 2MBit/s and uncompressed (very large file)
- Resolution: PAL and NTSC (as well as SECAM) from 720x400px up to HD material of 1920x1080px
- Audio: 48kHz sound PCM (only uncompressed) / MP3 / AAC (if possible > 160 kBit/s)
Browser & Internet Connection:
- Please note, that the successful upload of your film file depends on a stable and proper high-speed internet connection with minimum 2 Mbit/s.
- We recommend the use of the latest versions of Google Chrome or Safari Browser.
By choosing an online link as a screener, the right-holders agree to keep the link available and valid until the end of the ongoing edition, without viewings limitation. Any restriction of availability of an online link must be in agreement with the Head of the film department.
All requests for a DCP screening must be addressed via email to the Head of the film department prior to any submission.
All requests for a DCP screening must be validated by the Head of the film department
No DCP can be shipped to the offices of La Semaine de la Critique. The specifics and logistics of the screening will be provided by the Head of the film department, once the screening is validated.
La Semaine de la Critique’s selection committee will preview only one version of the film. No later version will be allowed to be submitted.
LANGUAGE & SUBTITLES
Films submitted for preselection can be presented:
- Without subtitles if the original language is French or English
- With French or English subtitles for all other original languages
The registration fee is mandatory for any feature film’s submission (duration more than 59’) and is not refundable. The payment is processed by debit card during the online registration (American Express is not accepted). The amount of the fee is 150 euros (without taxes). 20% VAT applies accordingly to the category of your company.
VAT doesn’t apply for the following categories:
- Company based outside the European Union
- Company based inside the European Union with an Intra-community VAT identification n° to provide during the online registration
VAT (20%) does apply for the following categories:
- Company based inside the European Union without any Intra-community VAT identification number
- Company based in France
- Private individual without any company
The results will be communicated in mid/late April 2024 by email only. No result will be announced over the phone.
RETURN OF COPIES
Physical Material received in pre-selection will be returned only upon written request, at the expense of the right-holder. DCPs will be kept by La Semaine de la Critique until September 30, 2024, after which and without any request from the right-holder, they will be destroyed.
Head of the Film Department: Rémi Bigot
+33 1 45 08 81 56