Submissions for feature films are now closed.
The dates for the 2021 Semaine de la Critique could be subject to variations following the development of the health crisis.
To be admissible at La Semaine de la Critique, the film must comply with the following requirements:
- Must be the director’s first or second feature film.
- By "first feature film", we mean it must be the first cinematic film (fiction, documentary or animation) with a duration over 59' from a director who has never directed a full-length film before (over 59'), theatrically released or selected in an international Class A festival.
- By "second feature film", we mean it must be a cinematic film (fiction, documentary or animation) with a duration over 59' from a director who has previously only directed one full-length film (over 59'), theatrically released or selected in an international Class A festival.
- Must have been completed within the 12 months prior to the date of the Festival (between May 2020 and Cannes 2021).
- Must not have participated in any festival outside its country of origin (whether it is in competition or out of competition).
- Must not have been shown on the Internet or broadcasted on TV, or commercially released outside its country of origin.
The online submissions have to be completed between November 2nd, 2020 and May 3rd, 2021.
The films have to be sent between November 2nd, 2020 and May 10th, 2021.
All films should be made available to the selection committee in one of the following formats:
Link (ie. Vimeo to be to be filled in in the registration form), HD CAM (NO-SR), DVD, BLU-RAY, DCP.
In addition to the formats proposed above, feature films can now be uploaded to the Semaine de la Critique website during the registration process.
DVD & BLU-RAY:
DVDs & Blu-rays must be sent directly to La Semaine de la Critiques’s office:
Semaine de la critique
Bureau des Films - Hélène Auclaire
17 rue des Jeûneurs, 75002 Paris – FRANCE
Tel : +33 1 45 08 81 56
All packages from abroad shall mention « For cultural use only / No commercial value".
If a film is sent through an express delivery service, all shipping costs, custom duties and taxes in France must be paid by the sender (this must be mentioned on shipping forms). Any cash on delivery package will be refused. Please double check with your shipping agent.
DVDs and BLU-RAYs have to mention clearly the followings:
- Film’s title
- Name of the director
- File number
- Main country of production
DCP & HD CAM (NO-SR):
For those materials, please contact Hélène Auclaire at the Film Department before the registration. DCP previews may require an additional entry fee corresponding to the cost of that specific kind of screening. Please note that the DCP screening slots are very limited and will have to be confirmed by the Film Department.
If you decide to present one and unique copy of this type to all Cannes sections, please get in touch with our Film Department to warn us a print will be sent to Paris for that purpose.
Upload a film
It is possible to fill in the submission form, and upload the film later on. Once the video is validated once and for all by its user, it is not possible to upload a new version anymore. Validating your video finalises your submission and enables your film to be considered for preselections.
Most source files are accepted. If your file is already on your computer, the upload will be very easy. If your film is on DVD, you can read the “how to prepare my film” file.
- Requested files: We only accept multiplexed files (audio, video and subtitles in one film file). We also recommend to upload only progressive or de-interlaced footage.
- Subtitles: For subtitled films, the subtitles have to be integrated (burned in) into the image.
- Preparation of your film file: Make sure that your film has no color bar or any black sequence before and after your film (apart from a a model for opening and closing credits).
- Upload: There is a maximum file size of 8 GB for each film. If your upload cannot be completed 100%, try to upload a version of your film with smaller file size and/or go online using an ethernet cable. Duration of your upload depends on your film file size and your internet connection, it can take several hours. For instance: with a 2,5 GB film file and an internet connection with an upload speed of 1 Mbit/s, upload can take approximately 6 hours. For 1 Mbit/s upload speed, a high speed internet connection of approximately 16 Mbit/s is needed. Test your upload speed here.
- Accepted formats: .mp[e]g / .vob / .avi / .mov / .mp4 (m4v)
- Recommended codecs: MJPEG, Apple ProRes, H264 (bitrate if possible) > 2MBit/s and uncompressed (very large file)
- Resolution: PAL and NTSC (as well as SECAM) from 720x400px up to HD material of 1920x1080px
- Audio: 48kHz sound PCM (only uncompressed) / MP3 / AAC (if possible > 160 kBit/s)
Browser & Internet Connection:
- Please note, that the successful upload of your film file depends on a stable and proper high-speed internet connection with minimum 2 Mbit/s.
- We recommend the use of the latest versions of Google Chrome or Safari Browser.
La Semaine de la Critique’s selection committee will preview only one version of the film. No other version will be allowed to be submitted at a later stage.
Language & subtitles
Films submitted for preselection can be presented:
- Without subtitles if the original language is French or English
- With French or English subtitles for all other original languages
The registration fee is mandatory for any feature film’s submission (duration more than 59’) and is not refundable. The payment is proceeded by debit card during the online registration (American Express is not accepted). The amount of the fee is 120 euros (without taxes). VAT applies accordingly to the category of your company.
VAT doesn’t apply for the following categories:
- Company based outside the European Union
- Company based inside the European Union with an Intra-community VAT identification n° to provide during the online registration
VAT (20%) does apply for the following categories:
- Company based inside the European Union WITHOUT any Intra-community VAT identification number
- Company based in France
- Private individual without any company
The results will be communicated in the beginning of June 2021 by email only. No result will be announced over the phone.
Material received in pre-selection will be returned only upon written request, at the expense of the producer. DVDs and BLU-RAYs will be kept by La Semaine de la Critique until September 30th, 2021, after which and without any request from the right-holder, they will be destroyed.
Head of the Film Department: Hélène Auclaire
+33 1 45 08 81 56