- Must have been completed within the 12 months prior to the date of the Festival (between Cannes 2017 and Cannes 2018).
- Must not have participated in any festival outside its country of origin(whether it is in competition or out of competition).
- Must not have been shown on the Internet or broadcasted on TV, or commercially released outside its country of origin.
- Must not exceed 59 minutes
The deadline for short films registration and upload is March 5th, 2018.
Short films competing for La Semaine de la Critique are uploaded online during the submission process and will be considered by the selection committee only through this way.
It is important to note that the selection committee will watch only one version of the presented film. Presenting a work-in-progress version of your film is possible but prevents you from presenting a final version later on.
The selection committee can watch a film without subtitles if the original language is French or English, and with subtitles (French or English) for all other original languages.
Upload my film
It is possible to fill in the submission form, and upload the film later on. Once the video is definitely validated by its user, it is not possible to upload a new version anymore. Validating your video finalises your submission and enables your film to be considered for preselections.
Main source files are accepted. If your file is already on your computer, the upload will be very easy. If your film is on DVD, you can read the “how to prepare my film” file.
- Requested files: We only accept multiplexed files (audio, video and subtitles in one film file). We also recommend to upload only progressive or de-interlaced footage.
- Subtitles: For subtitled films, the subtitles have to be integrated (burned in) into the image.
- Preparation of your film file: Make sure that your film has no color bar or any sequence of blackness before and after your film.
- Upload: There is a maximum file size of 8 GB for each film. If your upload cannot be completed 100%, try to upload a version of your film with smaller file size and/or go online using an ethernet cable. Duration of your upload depends on your film file size and your internet connection, it can take several hours. For instance: with a 2,5 GB film file and an internet connection with an upload speed of 1 Mbit/s, upload can take approximately 6 hours. For 1 Mbit/s upload speed, a high speed internet connection of approximately 16 Mbit/s is needed. Test your upload speed here.
- Accepted formats: .mp[e]g / .vob / .avi / .mov / .mp4 (m4v)
- Recommended codecs: MJPEG, Apple ProRes, H264 (bitrate if possible) > 2MBit/s and uncompressed (very large file)
- Resolution: PAL and NTSC (as well as SECAM) from 720x400px up to HD material of 1920x1080px
- Audio: 48kHz sound PCM (only uncompressed) / MP3 / AAC (if possible > 160 kBit/s)
Browser & Internet Connection:
- Please note, that the successful upload of your film file depends on a stable and proper high-speed internet connection with minimum 2 Mbit/s.
- We recommend the use of latest version of Google Chrome or Safari Browser.
Payment of the fee
The entry fee is mandatory for any short film’s submission (up to 59’) and is not refundable. The payment is proceeded by Credit Card during the online registration (American Express is not accepted). The amount of the fee is 25 euros (without taxes). VAT applies or not according to the category your company belongs to.
VAT doesn’t apply for the following categories:
- Company based outside the European Union.
- Company based inside the European Union with an Intra-community VAT identification n° to provide during the online registration.
VAT (20%) does apply for the following categories:
- Company based inside the European Union WITHOUT any Intra-community VAT identification number
- Company based in France
- Private individual without any company
The results will be communicated in mid-april 2018 by email only. No result will be announced over the phone.
In charge of short films | Film department : Julie Marnay
Tel. +33 1 45 08 81 56