Submissions for feature films are now closed. The postponement of La Semaine de la Critique does in no way extend the submission deadline beyond March 16th, 2020 as set previously.
For the FEATURE FILMS that were submitted before March 16th, 2020, the team of La Semaine de la Critique must receive a Vimeo link by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 10th. We accept only one Vimeo link per film and will not take into account any updated versions of the film sent afterwards. We will not take into consideration Vimeo links of films that were not submitted before theinitial submission deadline.
Pursuant to section 4 of our regulations, the entry fees shall not be refunded due to the postponement or, should it occur, the cancellation of the festival. Our team has processed all submissions and the selection committees carries on viewing all the films throughout the ongoing preselection phase.
To be admissible at La Semaine de la Critique, the film must comply with the following requirements:
- Must be the director’s first or second feature film.
- By "first feature film", we mean it must be the first cinematic film (fiction, documentary or animation) with a duration over 59' from a director who has never directed a full-length film before (over 59'), theatrically released or selected in an international Class A festival.
- By "second feature film", we mean it must be a cinematic film (fiction, documentary or animation) with a duration over 59' from a director who has previously only directed one full-length film (over 59'), theatrically released or selected in an international Class A festival.
- Must have been completed within the 12 months prior to the date of the Festival (between Cannes 2019 and Cannes 2020).
- Must not have participated in any festival outside its country of origin (whether it is in competition or out of competition).
- Must not have been shown on the Internet or broadcasted on TV, or commercially released outside its country of origin.
The online submissions have to be completed between December 2nd, 2019 and March 16th, 2020.
The films have to be sent between December 2nd, 2019 and March 16th, 2020.
Deadline extented to Monday 16th March 2020
All films should be made available to the selection committee in one of the following formats:
Link (ie. Vimeo), HD CAM (NO-SR), DVD, BLU-RAY, DCP, 35mm
DVD & BLU-RAY:
DVDs & Blu-rays must be sent directly to La Semaine de la Critiques’s office:
Semaine de la critique
Bureau des Films - Hélène Auclaire
17 rue des Jeûneurs, 75002 Paris – FRANCE
Tel : +33 1 45 08 81 56
All packages from abroad shall mention « For cultural use only / No commercial value".
If a film is sent through an express delivery service, all shipping costs, custom duties and taxes in France must be paid by the sender (this must be mentioned on shipping forms). Any cash on delivery package will be refused. Please double check with your shipping agent.
DVDs and BLU-RAYs have to mention clearly the followings:
- Film’s title
- Name of the director
- File number
- Main country of production
DCP, HD CAM (NO-SR) & 35mm:
For those materials, please contact Hélène Auclaire at the Film Department before the registration. DCP previews may require an additional entry fee corresponding to the cost of that specific kind of screening. Please note that the DCP screening slots are very limited and will have to be confirmed by the Film Department.
If you decide to present one and unique copy of this type to all Cannes sections, please get in touch with our Film Department to warn us a print will be sent to Paris for that purpose.
La Semaine de la Critique’s selection committee will preview only one version of the film. No other version will be allowed to be submitted at a later stage.
Language & subtitles
Films submitted for preselection can be presented:
- Without subtitles if the original language is French or English
- With French or English subtitles for all other original languages
The registration fee is mandatory for any feature film’s submission (duration more than 59’) and is not refundable. The payment is proceeded by debit card during the online registration (American Express is not accepted). The amount of the fee is 120 euros (without taxes). VAT applies accordingly to the category of your company.
VAT doesn’t apply for the following categories:
- Company based outside the European Union
- Company based inside the European Union with an Intra-community VAT identification n° to provide during the online registration
VAT (20%) does apply for the following categories:
- Company based inside the European Union WITHOUT any Intra-community VAT identification number
- Company based in France
- Private individual without any company
The results will be communicated in mid-april 2020 by email only. No result will be announced over the phone.
Material received in pre-selection will be returned only upon written request, at the expense of the producer. DVDs and BLU-RAYs will be kept by La Semaine de la Critique until September 30th, 2020, after which and without any request from the right-holder, they will be destroyed.
Head of the Film Department: Hélène Auclaire
+33 1 45 08 81 56